A flexible therapeutic approach provided by Plymouth Options which is helpful to people presenting with a wide range of issues. This offers a safe place to work through distress and feel supported without being judged or instructed.
Counselling provides an opportunity to make sense of feelings and experiences and to gain insight. Can offer the chance to gain new strategies and coping skills. Can help work through trauma, including sexual abuse, domestic violence and bullying. Aims to help people make changes towards living more resourceful and rewarding lives.
Plymouth Options recommends Counselling for helping people with:
• adjustment to life events, illnesses, disabilities, losses
• relationship issues,
• issues from earlier in life causing current difficulties
• difficulties adjusting to changes in their circumstances
• managing their lives more successfully
The kinds of problems that are likely to be amenable to help through this service are:
• Continuing distress following life crises such as separation, divorce, unemployment and redundancy
• Adjustment to physical illness/disability
• Adjustment to life transitions
• Transient or less severe feelings of anxiety/depression/panic
• Stress-related difficulties e.g.. feeling overwhelmed by work or work problems, stress related to being a parent or carer, or related to managing competing demands
• Relationship difficulties
• Feelings of distress and adjustment around loss and bereavement
• Difficulties in coping with the continuing effects past traumatic events.