Select Page


Children who have English as a second language should not be regarded as having a speech and language difficulty.

Even children who have had limited exposure to English before going to school can become competent communicators in the new language.

However, some of these children may have speech and language difficulties in their home language as well as English and these children may require our support.

Referrals to the Speech and Language Service should be considered if you have concerns about a child’s communication in their home language or there are difficulties in both languages. You should also refer if there are concerns over their speech sounds in both languages; they are stammering or have voice quality and volume difficulties.

As with all referrals to Speech & Language Therapy, a hearing test should be considered.

Strategies recommended by a speech and language therapist can be used both in a home language and a new language.

en English