Physical activity guidelines
Try and aim for 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity (activity that gets you breathing harder, but you can still talk) 5 times a week which can be in 10 minute bursts for the health and psychological benefits of being active. Stand up every hour to move around.
Normally it is advised that if you have health concerns you consult your doctor before trying new exercises. Please use the following advice to ensure your safety and enjoyment of trying new exercises. Please note that Livewell Southwest cannot be responsible for any resulting problems.
- Do not exercise if you feel unwell.
- Discontinue exercises if you start to feel unwell.
- Do ensure you have had the appropriate medication prior to starting (e.g. inhalers, pain relief) and if you have diabetes it is well managed beforehand.
- Do not exercise into pain; discontinue any exercise that exacerbates your pain.
- Do stop and rest during exercise as you need to.
- Do not exercise too soon after a meal.
- Do wear loose and comfortable clothing and flat, supportive shoes.
- Do exercises that feel comfortable and the right pace for you; please do not force any movements that are not comfortable.
- Do consider the seated classes if you have impaired balance.
- Do use a supportive chair when doing seated exercises.