The Community Respiratory Team aims to prevent unnecessary GP calls and admissions to hospital by educating people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) to keep themselves as well as possible, to recognise when their condition is worsening, and give them the confidence to manage their COPD themselves with an agreed action plan.
The Community Respiratory Team works with GP’s and practice nurses caring for patients with COPD, as well as with the British Lung Foundation. They provide an oxygen assessment service in collaboration with the Chest Clinic at Derriford Hospital, and a pulmonary rehabilitation service, as well as a home exercise programme for housebound patients.
Respiratory Physiotherapists are responsible for community respiratory physiotherapy which includes management of breathlessness, dysfunctional breathing, sputum retention, inhaler technique, and reduced exercise tolerance as well as anxiety and energy management.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is an exercise and education programme that runs for ten weeks (a two hour session every week) at either Brickfields in Devonport or the ELM centre in Estover. A home based exercise programme is provided for housebound patients.
- Actively identify patients who may benefit from respiratory nurse / physiotherapist intervention.
- Provide and facilitate the co-ordination of individualised and holistic care for people with respiratory conditions
- Undertake a respiratory assessment of the patient including; pulse oximetry, chest auscultation, and correct inhaler device assessment
- Maximise therapy
- Educate patients, and their carers, as to their condition and medication, and how to best manage their condition
- Prevent unnecessary GP and ambulance calls
- Prevent unnecessary hospital admissions by early and rapid intervention in acute exacerbations
- Liaise with secondary care to facilitate early discharge from hospital to the community
- Provide an accessible Pulmonary Rehabilitation service
- Provide a Home Exercise programme for housebound patients
- Provide chest physiotherapy
- Provide an oxygen assessment service in conjunction with secondary care (Derriford Hospital)
- Provide a nebuliser assessment service
Referrals are received via any health professional.
We would be grateful if you would complete a survey based on your experience. Click here.
See what others have said
For general enquiries, or to be directed to a specific service or individual, please contact our switchboard on 01752 435502.